Blog Tags: Tony Wu
Photographer Tony Wu has a cool story up on his blog today. While shooting a large manta ray near Sri Lanka earlier this week, he was suddenly accosted by the normally-peaceful animal. The manta ray emitted a weird screeching noise as it headbutted him, telling him in no uncertain terms to back off. Tony swam away with what he jokingly calls "the first documented case of 'manta burn.'"
Tony describes the sound on his blog, but can't track down any documented reports of manta rays making any noise at all. Our own Explore section says mantas are sometimes "sociable with divers," though - perhaps Tony just got this one on an off day.
- Deceptive Crab Mislabeling Leads Members of Congress to Call for Action Posted Wed, July 30, 2014
- Ocean News: Blue Whale “Hot Spots” Linked with Busy Shipping Lanes, Massachusetts Bans Shark Fin Trade, and More Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Creature Feature: Caribbean Spiny Lobster Posted Wed, July 30, 2014
- Massachusetts Takes a Step Forward For Sharks Posted Fri, July 25, 2014
- Ocean News: Brazil Bans Catfish Fishery to Protect Pink River Dolphins, Arctic Ice Melt Leading to Large Arctic Waves, and More Posted Thu, July 31, 2014