Manager, Human Resources
Location: Washington, D.C.
Department: Human Resources
Oceana seeks an HR Manager to lead human resources from its international headquarters in Washington, DC. Oceana is an international policy advocacy organization for marine conservation. Its mission is to restore our oceans to former levels of abundance. Oceana has approximately 115 staff located in six countries and a budget of approximately $20 million. The HR Manager reports to the Executive Vice President and General Counsel.
Oceana operates with clear goals. It defines important, measurable policy changes that it seeks to be made in a defined period, usually three to five years. Its fact-based campaigns combine science, law, communications, lobbying, and organizing. More information about Oceana’s current goals and its accomplishments since its founding in 2001 can be found at www.oceana.org.
These accomplishments have been possible through the myriad talents of Oceana’s diverse staff. To support its human resources, Oceana is looking for a unique individual who can contribute at a strategic level to the human capital issues in this important organization and who is also comfortable performing the tactical demands of an efficient global organization.
An exceptional opportunity exists for the incoming Manager of Human Resources:
- Oceana’s mission: The HR Manager will have the personal satisfaction of being a critical member of a global organization that could have a significant impact in solving the world’s ocean problems in our lifetime.
- International in scope: The position will have the opportunity to interact with diverse employees from around the globe.
- Stability: Oceana has been recognized and evaluated by independent experts for its financial strength and transparency. It is an entrepreneurial organization that is delivering on its mission.
- Strong commitment from leadership: The senior leadership of the organization is committed to successful human resources support as key to achieving Oceana’s mission.
- Sharing responsibility with the Accounting Department for the integrity of the administration of Oceana’s payroll and benefits systems;
- Managing all aspects of the administration of benefit plans;
- Facilitating the selection and growth of Oceana’s high-quality staff;
- Managing and implementing Oceana’s employment-related policies;
- Assisting the General Counsel and senior management in meeting legal and compliance requirements;
- Maintaining HR records;
- Maintaining confidentiality in all matters; and
- Providing services to other parts of the organization as required.
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum five years’ human resources generalist experience required;
- Understanding of employment and benefit laws required;
- Experience in compensation and benefits administration including reviewing and making recommendations for improvements and cost saving measures;
- Specific experience administering 403b retirement plans;
- Experience managing all aspects of employee relations;
- Experience in the recruitment and retention of all staff levels;
- Ability to think systematically about creating and implementing organization-wide policies and procedures;
- Experience working with a diverse, international organization;
- Demonstrated commitment to conservation preferred; and
- Proficiency with Windows-based applications in a networked environment; preferably the Microsoft Office Suite.
Key attributes and skills for success in this role:
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; perceptiveness in dealing with staff;
- Highest level of integrity, including an ability to preserve sensitive and confidential information and maintain confidentiality;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills; a self-starter with a high energy level and the ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to travel internationally if required;
- Exceptional attention to detail; and
- A passion for Oceana’s mission.
Compensation: competitive base salary commensurate with experience plus an excellent package of employee and health benefits.
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.