Location: Washington, D.C.
Department: Marketing & Communications
Oceana, a results-oriented international ocean conservation non-profit, is seeking an Editor. The primary responsibility of the Editor is to manage Oceana’s publications, including a tri-annual magazine, annual report and holiday card as well as other publication needs as they arise. The Editor will work collaboratively with Oceana’s designer and Development department to create compelling print materials appropriate for Oceana’s donors and supporters. The Editor must be proactive in reporting about the latest organizational activities and victories around the world. This position is also responsible for providing writing and editing support to Oceana’s CEO on an as-needed basis.
- Write, edit and produce three Oceana magazines annually, working with the Development department and designer to ensure attractive and prompt printing and delivery, and working with Oceana’s policy campaigns to ensure scientific accuracy and relevancy.
- Write, edit and produce Oceana’s annual report.
- Produce Oceana’s holiday card.
- Provide writing and editing support for Oceana’s CEO in donor communications, editorials and more (including online).
- Develop a book proposal for Oceana based on organizational branding and press needs.
- Support Oceana’s website editorial needs as required
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience working in a fast-paced reporting environment.
- Superb reporting, writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to synthesize complicated scientific jargon quickly and accurately for a lay audience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, other organizations and the public.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining humor and high energy.
- Experience with content management systems such as Drupal and Wordpress and other web tools a plus.
- Ability to adapt to a fast changing environment, manage multiple assignments and coordinate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and innovation.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and can spot opportunities in times of change.
- Must be a proactive team player and have a positive, customer service attitude.
- Original thinking, the ability to think independently, and problem solve both within the team environment and independently.
- Interest and curiosity about ocean conservation and Oceana’s campaigns a plus.
OCEANA, Inc. provides a generous benefits package, including comprehensive health, dental, vision, and 403(b) plan, and generous leave. Oceana, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, (EOE)