Location: Washington, D.C.
OCEANA, a results-oriented global non-profit dedicated to protecting and restoring the world’s oceans, is seeking an experienced Grantwriter.
As our Grantwriter, you will work with the Foundations team to secure foundation grants for Oceana and help the organization to meet its annual foundation revenue goals. Your primary focus will be on the development and writing of grant requests to support Oceana’s campaigns in the U.S. and internationally—currently Europe, South America (Chile), and Central America (Belize). You will also be responsible for developing grant reports and, as necessary, other materials required for or requested by foundations. In addition, you will work closely with our Accounting/Finance department to assist with the preparation of proposal budgets and grant financial reports. Grant and foundation prospect research may be required as well, as time permits.
OCEANA’s Grantwriter position offers an opportunity for creativity and initiative, and will involve significant interaction with OCEANA’s program staff – in all of its regions – and will require staying current on OCEANA’s campaigns. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Institutional Giving.
- Develop and write foundation proposals, reports, letters of inquiry, and other foundation-related materials as necessary. Assist in review of such documents from OCEANA regional offices.
- Manage Foundations Resource Library, a searchable library of proposals and reports , as well as other valuable research and writing materials
- Hold proposal kick-off meetings and grant award handover meeting with Foundation relationship manager, to help coordinate proposal and project teams from the outset.
- Maintain and update Foundations team resources, including manuals, style guides, as well as proposals and reports.
- Gather campaign and project information from program staff and other sources and consult with as necessary for grant requests, reports, and other foundation-related documents.
- Work closely with our Accounting/Finance department to assist with the preparation of proposal budgets and grant financial reports.
- Perform additional foundation-related writing, duties and special projects as needed and directed.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Stellar written and verbal communications skills in English (knowledge of Spanish a plus).
- Grant writing experience.
- Ability to translate campaign/project information into compelling proposals.
- Development experience in non-profit organization (2-3 years required).
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to effectively manage multiple projects and to take initiative.
- Superior attention to detail, strong follow-through, and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office and online foundation research tools.
Oceana provides a generous benefits package, including comprehensive health, dental, vision, and 403(b) plan, and generous leave. Oceana is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)