Quick Facts About Prey Fish
- Seven of the top ten largest fisheries in the world target prey species.
- Today’s landings of prey fish are more than four times those of 1950.
- About ten million metric tons of anchoveta alone are removed from the ocean every year.
- Roughly 225,000 metric tons of prey fish each year are thrown into Mediterranean tuna pens.
- 46 percent of all fishmeal is consumed by aquaculture operations.
- In 2003, salmon pens alone consumed 51 percent of world fish oil and 19 percent of world fishmeal supplies.