The writer’s primary duty is to write and edit Oceana’s tri-annual fundraising magazine. This will include writing features and short news items about Oceana’s global campaigns to save the oceans and feed the world, as well as Q&As with Oceana’s donors and supporters. In addition, the magazine writer will administer the institutional review and editing process for the magazine, to implement the vision and goals of the CEO and development department for the magazine as a fundraising tool, overseen by the Editor. He or she will work closely with the graphic designer to finalize the magazine layout and ensure all edits are implemented. This magazine is a fundraising tool and is not editorially independent.
The magazine writer will also report and write blog stories about Oceana’s work for Oceana.org, in line with Oceana’s content strategy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Education and work experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and two years’ experience in nonprofit communications, speechwriting, science or environmental writing, science or environmental journalism or related field involving science or environmental communication with an institutional focus or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proven speech, op-ed or other institutional writer
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, and comfort with AP style
• Reporting experience a strong plus
• Comfort and familiarity supporting high level executives, policymakers and individuals with writing
• Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining human and energy
• Familiarity with environmental and food security issues a plus but not required
Skills and knowledge:
To Apply: Please attach a copy of your cover letter to your resume.