Communications Director, Peru
Oceana is the largest advocacy organization focused solely on ocean conservation. Founded in 2001, Oceana seeks to preserve and restore the ocean’s bounty as a source for wild-caught fish and preserve the marine ecosystem for our and future generations. With offices in 11 countries around the world, Oceana works to enable policies that protect ocean resources, which are essential for the economy, jobs, families, and communities. Our campaigns seek to save the ocean so that the ocean can feed the world.
Oceana Perú was established in April 2015 and is headquartered in Lima. Oceana works with the government, the society, the fishing sector, and scientists to influence changes and necessary adjustments in policies, management, and marine fishing activity. Oceana has achieved dozens of concrete policy victories for coastal communities, marine life, and critical ecosystems all over the world. We have dramatically improved fisheries’ productivity by applying science-based catch limits, increasing transparency in government decisions, and protecting millions of square kilometers of sensitive habitats from pollution and other destructive activities. Our victories represent a new hope for the world’s oceans.
Reporting to the Vice-President of Perú, the Director of Communications serves in a key position to help ensure the successful operation of Oceana Peru. The Director will lead efforts to create and maintain a positive image with external audiences and stakeholders, to build support for Oceana’s efforts, and to pave the way for future partnerships and opportunities. S/he will work with the campaign directors to ensure communication strategies are effectively developed and applied to achieve the campaign goals.
Main Position Objectives
- Develop the Oceana brand in Perú.
- Present the brand to external markets through our web presence, social media and targeted campaigns.
- Focus on the marketing and communications aspects of campaigns to help ensure the identification of target audiences and individuals and the development of messaging and promotions to affect them
- Play a key role in efforts to influence, manage and develop external stakeholder relations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and evaluate the annual communications plan, and campaign communications plans including earned and paid media and social media.
- In coordination with the Campaigns and Sciences Director, develop effective marketing and communications strategies and priorities to achieve campaigns goals.
- Build Oceana base of supporters in Peru’s, generating content that engages target audience across all channels and leads to measurable actions.
- Raise the profile of Oceana’s brand in Perú, and campaign initiatives, developing and implementing strategies that lead to increased awareness and campaign momentum.
- Secure news stories for Oceana’s campaigns in all mediums, including print, online, radio and TV.
- Effectively engage local and national media contacts.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Oversee the day-to-day management and successful operation of the communications team.
- Organize and manage the process of selecting outsourced agencies/services and manage deadlines and quality of scheduled deliveries.
- Create material that leads to momentum and awareness as well as tools to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Educational and Professional Experience:
- Communications experience.
- Management experience.
- Media relations experience.
- Strong journalistic writing skills with excellent knowledge of using style guidelines.
- Superb writing, editing and verbal communication skills adaptive to a variety of audiences.
- In-depth knowledge and use of social media tools, networks and online communities.
- Ability to synthesize complicated scientific jargon quickly and accurately for lay audiences.
- Ability to work collaboratively with staff, other organizations and the public.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining humor and high energy.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-changing environment, managing multiple assignments and coordinate with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to approach problems with a sense of ownership, enthusiasm and innovation.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to spot opportunities in times of change.
- Must be a proactive team player and have a positive, customer service attitude.
- Interest in ocean conservation and Oceana Perú’s campaigns.
- Knowledge of and experience in media in Perú
- Must be fluent in English. Other languages will be considered an asset.
- Office headquartered in Lima, Perú.
- Excellent work environment and great culture based on organization, processes, planning and results