Eric Ripert’s Clams with Spicy Sausage, as featured in The Perfect Protein
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 pound andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 dozen littleneck clams, well scrubbed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Lemon wedges for serving
Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, curry powder, and lemon zest. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onion has softened and turned translucent. Add the sausage and cook for about 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the clams, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan a few times, until the clams open.
Using a slotted spoon, place the clams in shallow serving bowls, discarding any clams that don’t open. Stir the cilantro into the broth and pour it over the clams. Serve with lemon wedges.